Alappuzha

Karthikappally Taluk





Highest Rural population with 3.25 Lakhs
Density of population 1606 persons per Sq.Km
Maximum number of villages (17) of which 4 villages are partly included in the municipality
Urban population 11.02 %
First rank in urban density - 3082 persons per Sq.Km.

[ These details are as per 1991 census]

 

Villages

1. Arattupuzha 10. Keerikkad
2. Cheppad 11. Krishnapuram
3. Cheruthana 12. Kumarapuram
4. Chingoli 13. Muthukulam
5. Haripad 14. Pallippad
6. Kandallor 15. Pathiyoor
7. Karthikappally 16. Puthuppally
8. Karuvatta 17. Thrikkunnapuzha
9. Kayamkulam 18. Veeyapuram

 

Places of importance

Cheppad

Situated about 44 Km north of Kollam on Kollam-Alappuzha Nationnal Highway 47, Cheppad is notable for an Orthodox Syrian Christian Church dedicated to St. george built in 1300 AD. The main portico and subsidiary porches are built after the traditional pattern of the porches of Hindu temple. The wood carvings in the porches and the mural paintings which depicts the great scenes of epic of Jesus Christ are unique and rare specimens. As a sacred resting place of the mortal remains of his Grace Mar Dionysius IV ( Popularly known as the Cheppad Metroplitan ans one of the greatest figures in the history of Orthodox Syrian Church) , the Cheppad church is a place of pilgrimage for Orthodox Syrian Christians. In 1956 , His Imperial Majesty Hailie Salassie, the Emperor of Ethiopia visited the church.

The wooden sculptures in the gopuram of Vettikkulangara Bhagavathy temple are famous.

Harippad

Hrippad is the headquarters of Karthikappally taluk, situated on National Highway 47 between Kollam and Alappuzha. It is famous for the Subrahmanya Temple built in the ancient Kerala style of architecture. It is believed that when the new temple dedicated to Sastha was nearing completion, one of the trustees had a dream and accordingly the idol of Subrahmanya was brought from a particular spot in the Pathiramanal island and consecrated here. In comemmoration of this event an important boat regatta at Payippad (Payippad Jalolsavam) is held in every Chingom (August-Spetember).

Haripad is also famous for the origin of well known Sandeshakavya 'Mayoora Sandesham' writte by Kerala Varma Valiyakoyi Thampuran, while he was residing there.

Kayamkulam

It is an important municipality with an area of 21.79 Sq.Km.

Population - 67151. It was treated as a town in 1901 and got the status of Municipality from 1921 onmwards. Situated by the side of Kayamkulam lake, midway between Kollam and Aappuzha, Kayamkulam was the capital of the kingdom of Kayamkulam Rajas till the annexation ogfthe kingdom to Travancore by Marthandavarma Maharaja in 1746 AD. This town was often cacalled 'Padanilam' as several battles were fought in this place. Kayamkulam was prominent in the early and medieval time due to its opening to the lagoon through the Kayamkulam 'pozhi'. The town is connected with road, rail ad waterways and is an important commercial centre of inland trade. Kayamkulam-Alappuzha railway line was commissioned in 1992 and has now become a Railway Station. NTPC has set up a huge thermal power plant here. Krishnapuram, about a kilometre south of Kayamkulam was formerly a military centre of Kayamkulam Rajas. An old palace built by Ramayyan Dalava at Krishnapuram which contains famous mural paintings on Gajendramoksha assigned to 18th century, are now under the control of state Archaeological Department. the coconut research centre centrally sponsored by ICAR is also located at Krishnapuram.

Mannarasala

Mannarasala, situated very near to Harippad is a famous pilgrim centre. The temple dedicated to Nagaraja containing 30,000 images of serpant-gods is the largest of its kind in Kerala. The story of its origin is that a member of the local illam(Brahmin's house) married a girl of Vettukotte illam where serpants were in veneration. The poor parents of the girl could not give anything as dowry. They gave her an idol of a serpant and asked her to take care of it and worship regularly. In due course the girl became pregnant and delivered a child and a snake. The snake child was located in an underground cellar and brought up. It is said that the illam prospered from that day. In due course of time the snake gave rise to numerous progeny and they were removed to a spot in the southern portion of the house where a grove was since grown. The offerings of Noorum Palum (rice flour and milk) ad performing poojas are done by the eldest female member of the illam who is expected to lead a life of abstinence, when she becomes the eldest female of the family. Though the grove is full of snakes, no snake-bite has been reported fro this place.



Control Room 0477-2238630
Media Cell 0477-2237018
HelpDesk 1800 4250156
Public Grievance Cell 24x7
Citizen Call Centre of Government of Kerala Call:
BSNL Land Line: 155300
BSNL Mobile: 0471155300
Other Networks: 0471-2115054/98, 2335523
Disclaimer : . .

Content on this website is published and managed by: Collectorate, Alappuzha District, Kerala State, India.

For any query regarding this website please contact: The District Collector, Alappuzha, Tel. +91-477-2251720(O), +91-477-2243721(R), Email: dcalp[dot]ker[at]nic[dot]in.

Designed & Developed by: National Informatics Centre, District Centre, 1st Floor, Collectorate, Alappuzha District, Kerala State, India, Phone: +91-477-2252079, E-mail: keralp[at]nic[dot]in.

The Malayalam unicode font used in the pages is Rachana, Click here to download Malayalam unicode fonts

This page is last modified on: 23/11/2017 12:53:10 PM