Alappuzha

Ambalappuzha Taluk




Area- 67.81 Sq. Km.
Second position in Population with 4.08 lakhs
Population in rural area
lowest rural population (1.18 lakhs) in the district
most thickly populated having density - 1738 persons per sq. km.
Total - 117826
Males- 58099
Females- 59727
Density of Population is more having 2280 persons per Sq.Km.
Sex-ratio - 1038
Lowest percentage of rural area in the district with 37.92 %
Urban population is more in the district with about 2.90 lakhs which works out to be 47.56% of the total urban population of the district
Second rank in urban density(2612)
Second position in highest growth rate(8.59%)

[ These details are as per 1991 census]

 

Villages

1. Alappuzha West 8. Mannancherry
2. Ambalapuzha 9. Mullackal
3. Ambalappuzha North 10. Paravoor
4. Aryad South 11. Pathirappally
5. Kalavoor 12. Pazhaveedu
6. Karumady 13. Punnapra
7. Komalapuram 14 Purakkad

 

Places of importance

Alappuzha

Situated 157 Km north of Thiruvananthapuram, the capital of Kerala state and 62 Km south of Kochi on the National Highway-47, Alappuzha, the head quarters of both the district and the taluk is an important commercial town. The town was founded in 1762 by Raja Kesava Das, the then Diwan of Travancore, with a view to make the place a commercial centre. Surrounded by the sea and backwaters and the canals intersecting it, Alappuzha is often referred as 'the Venice of East'. The banks of these canals are the centres of many industrial and commercial establishments, particularly coir, copra, timber etc. From time immemorial, Alappuzha was the chief depot for sale of forest and other products. The port was opened in 1962 and canals were constructed to link the port to make commercial contacts with the interior. In the 19th century, Velu Thampi Dalawa took keen interest in constructing road, and markets which were later improved by Rani Parvathi Bai. A light house which is visible from a distance of 26 Km was built in 1862. For the passage of cargo a pier nearly 1000 ft. long also was built. Though the port has lost its maritime importance due to the nearness of Kochi port. the town still remains to be an important commercial and industrial centre of production and also supplier or coir yarn and coir products. The first modern factory for the manufacture of coir mats and matting was started here in 1859. The first post and telegraph office of the princely state of Travancore was established in Alappuzha when postal communicator was introduced in Travancore in1857.

It is the centre of a large network of inland water transport services. There is well-maintained beach. The Holy Cross church established in 1400 and the Mount carmel Cathedral established in 1809 are the important churches here. Jain temple, the only one existing in Travancore area , is also located here.

The Nehru Trophy Boat race, the colourful water carnival is held at Punnamada Kayal or Vatta Kayal about half a Km east of town, conducted on 2 nd Saturday of August every year to commemorate the visit of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India.

Ambalapuzha

Located about 13 Km south of Alappuzha, Ambalapuzha was formerly known as capital of Chempakasseri Rajas. The place is connected with road, rail and canal. Ambalapuzha is famous for the well-known Sree Krishna Swamy temple. The architecture of the temple conforms to the typical Kerala style. Ambalapuzha 'Palpayasam', an important offering to this deity still retains its flavour and sweetness. Ambalapuzha temple is closely associated with the introduction of Ottamthullal by Kunjan Nambiar.

Karumadi

Karumadi is a quiet village in Ambalapuzha taluk surrounded by brackish water and fertile paddy fields. the place is famous for the black granite Budha Shrine, popularly known as 'Karumadi Kuttan' standing by the side of the public canal. In 1965, Kerala Government declared it as protected monument and is now under the control of State Archaeological Department.

Punnapra

Situated very close to Alappuzha Municipality on Alappuzha-Kayamkulam road is now treated as an urban outgrowth of the city. As in case of Vayalar, this place is famous for the historic communist struggle in 1946 against the then Diwan of Travancore Sir C.P. Ramaswamy Iyer. the police action which followed resulted in indiscriminate firing and deaths of hundreds of people. This agitation led to the relinquishment of the rule of the Diwan.

Purakkad

Purakkd, literally means 'out of forest' is a coastal village of Ambalapuzha Taluk situated on National Highway 47 about 17 Km south of Alappuzha. the place is historically important. It was the scene of battle between Travancore and Kochin forces in 1754 AD ad between Travancore and the forces of Zamorin in 1756 AD. There was an ancient port at Purakkad. The Dutch East India Company had a factory at that time. In the 16th Century Portuguese built a church at Purakkd. An interesting phenomenon in this sea coast is the Chakara which is of great marine importanceParticular varieties of fish accumulate in the mud bank making it very easy for fishermen to have bountiful catch. St. Francis Xavior had visited this place during the 16th century and converted many fishermen to Christianity.

Thottappally

Being a place of strategic importance in olden times, Thottappally which lies in the vicinity of Purakkad, was the scene of battle between Travancore forces and army of Chempakassery Raja. Now the place is well known for the spillway across the Vembanad lake. The national Highway 47 passes over this spillway. It was constructed in 1954 to divert the flood water of Kuttanad into the sea and also to prevent salinisation of fresh water.



Control Room 0477-2238630
Media Cell 0477-2237018
HelpDesk 1800 4250156
Public Grievance Cell 24x7
Citizen Call Centre of Government of Kerala Call:
BSNL Land Line: 155300
BSNL Mobile: 0471155300
Other Networks: 0471-2115054/98, 2335523
Disclaimer : . .

Content on this website is published and managed by: Collectorate, Alappuzha District, Kerala State, India.

For any query regarding this website please contact: The District Collector, Alappuzha, Tel. +91-477-2251720(O), +91-477-2243721(R), Email: dcalp[dot]ker[at]nic[dot]in.

Designed & Developed by: National Informatics Centre, District Centre, 1st Floor, Collectorate, Alappuzha District, Kerala State, India, Phone: +91-477-2252079, E-mail: keralp[at]nic[dot]in.

The Malayalam unicode font used in the pages is Rachana, Click here to download Malayalam unicode fonts

This page is last modified on: 23/11/2017 12:53:08 PM